Using JavascriptMVC in WordPress

I’m working on a project which is going to involve some pretty extensive JavaScript coding. From experience, I know that any moderately sized or larger coding project needs to be well planned out and organized. But JavaScript typically isn’t.

So I did a lot of researching, and I’ve found a framework that appears to be fairly industrial strength. By this I mean that it is fairly well documented, provides examples, and has internal support for testing and automatic documentation generation.

I’m talking about JavascriptMVC. It is a little intimidating at first, mainly because it does provide all the things listed above. But having done some quick prototyping in my environment (PHP, Zend, WordPress), it appears to fit nicely and provide just the MVC+Test+Doc environment that I need.

I’m going to be merging JMVC into my existing WordPress installation. It appears that I’ll need to deal with the jQuery.noconflict issue which I plan on doing by redefining “var $ = jQuery;”. I’ll then be embedding the JMVC steal.js code using my custom child template (in functions.php).

This is really exciting. I’ll post more as I go. If anyone else has tried this before, please leave me a comment.

Test Song Post

I’m currently updating the Chords and Lyrics WordPress plugin.
This is just a copy of the test-song page used for testing it.

Song Title

This is text before chordsandlyrics.

C 
This is the  
F 
first 
 
line.
C 
This is the  
G 
second 
 
line.
Amaj7 
And 
 
 
Bmin 
this 
 
 
C 
is 
 
 
Dsus 
 
 
Eaug 
line 
 
 
Fdim 
with 
 
 
G#/B 
lots 
 
 
Amaj7/C 
of 
 
 
B 
chords.
C 
And this is a line with only three chords but a lot of words packed into it.  
F 
It should have probably been split into two lines.  
G 
It seems to just keep running on and on.

Ending

G 
The 
 
 
C 
end.

This section specifies size=”small”:

C 
This is the  
F 
first 
 
line.
C 
This is the  
G 
second 
 
line.
Amaj7 
And 
 
 
Bmin 
this 
 
 
C 
is 
 
 
Dsus 
 
 
Eaug 
line 
 
 
Fdim 
with 
 
 
G#/B 
lots 
 
 
Amaj7/C 
of 
 
 
B 
chords.
C 
And this is a line with only three chords but a lot of words packed into it.  
F 
It should have probably been split into two lines.  
G 
It seems to just keep running on and on.

Ending

G 
The 
 
 
C 
end.

This is text following chordsandlyrics.
(C)Copyright 2008-2010, Ron Lisle. All rights reserved.

KOA iPhone App is finished

I’ve completed the KOA iPhone app. I will be finishing testing and submit to the App Store by the end of the week.

Leander KOA iPhone App

Now I am going to create a matching website that will provide the same functionality for those poor souls that do not own an iPhone. From my experience, about 90% of all KOA campers have computers. We currently hand out a local attraction pamphlet which lists local restaurants, stores, and services. But the space on the pamphlet is limited. Providing a website/iPhone app allows providing dynamic searching and sorting, allowing a larger list to be provided.

One really cool thing about the iPhone for this sort of application is the built-in location services (GPS). Not only can I provide a list of items sorted alphabetically or by location, but I can sort the list dynamically based on the users current location, not just the distance from the KOA.

Celestino iPhone Application

Celestino Couture iPhone Application

I’ve just completed porting the Celestino website to an iPhone application.

I had been looking for an idea for an application to refresh my iPhone skills, and this fit the bill nicely.

This application is essentially the Celestino website deployed as an actual iPhone application. It is not just a web viewer or shortcut to the site.

It is available on the Apple iTunes App Store.

Our First RV Headache

After the heavy rains earlier this week, we’ve had to really check out the RV for leaks. We didn’t find any major leaks. However, we did find evidence of a significant amount of old water damage. When we purchased the RV we were told that there had been a leak along the front, but that it had been fixed. It turns out that there had been a significant amount of water damage, rot, and mold which had not been fixed.

Rotting floor

So we rolled up our sleeves and got to work this weekend.

We had to completely dismantle the closet doors and shelves to get at the rear panels. Upon pulling up the carpet we realized that we’d need to replace the flooring, at least for the back part.

Rotting wood in closet

Rotting wood behind closet rear wall

The framework behind the rear wall panelling was rotten, so we had to replace it.

We looked into using teak, but this appeared cost prohibitive. Instead we’ve opted to go with an inexpensive hardwood and paint it with Kilz.

It appears that the closet was built before the front end fiberglass end cap was installed. We really didn’t want to remove any outside panels, so we were delighted to find that we could reach everything containing rot from inside. Thank you Jesus.

I’ll post more pictures as we go.

Going Mobile

God is taking us yet another direction. We are in the process of selling our home and becoming full-time RVers. Alas, this means that we will be unable to conduct our workshops from our home anymore.

I am going to continue website coaching and smaller design projects. I’ll just be doing it from wherever I happen to be. We’ll also be rebranding from our current Website Workshops to the more appropriateĀ Nomad Websites name.

I apologize to those of you that wanted to attend one of our future workshops. I will continue to be available for 1-on-1 training while I am in the area.

Feeding your Facebook to Twitter

Facebook provides a simple way to connect to Twitter. To enable your Facebook content to your Twitter account, login into Facebook and then navigate to http://www.facebook.com/twitter. From there add your Twitter account information to link to it.